Search by ingredient

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Delicious Discoveries

I like cruising the aisles of food stores looking for flavorful ingredients. Sometimes that means having a stocked fridge with too many choices, but oh well, it pays off most of the time when I need to whip something different for dinner.

Here are some recent finds that I love.

Wildwood Garlic Aioli
(I bought this at the local Whole Foods Market)
Aioli is a vegan mayo substitute. It packs as much (if not more flavor) than mayo but it's also filled with good-for-you unsaturated fats unlike it's eggy counterpart. This version of aioli is very mediterranean- it's filled with flavors like zesty lemon and garlic. So far I've used it as a substitute for mayo in sandwiches and also mixed in paprika and chives to make a yummy dip for oven baked yam fries. Yumm!

Pain is Good- Garlic Sauce
(I bought this at the local Whole Foods market)
What drew me to this sauce was the packaging and ofcourse the fact that it had garlic in it! But I'm esctatic to say that my tastebuds are in love with this substantial condiment. It's slightly chunky and very hot. A little drizzle goes a long way on a hotdog, mixed into soup, an omelet etc.

Metropolitan Market's Flatbread
(I bought this at the location in Queen Anne)
I know this is very local but I had to list it here. After years of searching for flatbread that comes close to what I grew up on; my taste buds were sent into dizzying depths of nostalgia when I tore off a bite of these toasted flats. Look out for them if you're in the area- they're sold in bags of 12 and smell like they've been yanked fresh out of a stone oven!

Fran's Caramel Sauce
Another local favorite. I think you do get them in other cities though. If you like caramel sauce and are looking for something from your childhood days at the ice cream parlor- you got to try Fran's. It's rich, buttery and simply delicious drizzled over ... well ... anything! :-)


Earth N Vine's- Red Pepper and Ancho Chili Jam
This savory jam goes well with so many things. It is as versatile as it is unique. The sweet roasted red peppers are kicked up a notch when combined with ancho chilies. Use this as a spread on a simple cracker or mix into some aioli or cream cheese for a tasty dip. Also stir into tomato soup or as a spread for a sandwich.Feeling adventurous? Try it on simple vanilla or chocolate icecream as a topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment