Search by ingredient

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tomato Soup with Caramelized Onion and Mint


I was craving a roasted tomato soup. Roasting adds a fullness and depth that you just cant get without the time spent in the oven. But it was not to be since I did not have whole tomatoes that I could roast. I did have some beautiful red onion though which I caramelized in my heavy dutch oven along with some dried red chili flakes and garlic. A handful of mint brings out the freshness of the tomatoes and highlights the tartness wonderfully.

The end result is a full bodied soup that's sweet, hot and fresh! I served this up with some fresh  crusty garlic bread broiled with some mild cheddar for a couple minutes- yumm!

Prep Time: 1 hour
Serves: 3

Ingredients:

1 large can plum tomatoes (About 3 cups of tomatoes)
1 large red onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp, Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup fresh mint leaves, washed
Feta cheese for garnish.

Heat a heavy pot on medium high and add the olive oil, garlic and chili flakes. Saute for a couple minutes.
Add the onions, a pinch of salt and the sugar. Stir.
Let the onions caramelize, stir frequently. This should take about 20-30 minutes
Add the tomatoes and heat through for about 5 minutes covered.
Puree the mixture in a blender and transfer back to the pot.
Mix in the salt and mint. Heat for a couple more minutes and serve with some feta cheese on top.

2 comments:

  1. Tomato and mint! What a fantastic idea!!!!! Awesome blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my tomato soup the exact same way but with Basil. Gotta try your mint version .. sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete