Search by ingredient

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Split Pea & Ginger Soup

The sniffles brought out the creative genius in me. :) I was looking for a 2-in-1 hearty soup that could:
1. Battle a cold
2. Fill my (bottomless) stomach

I think I achieved just that with this hearty soup.

1 medium tomato, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups carrots, chopped
*2 inch stick fresh ginger, chopped
*4 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup green split peas, washed
4 cups vegetable stock (Click on the link for a home made stock recipe)
*1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups chopped cilantro
*2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste

Boil the split peas in about 4 cups of water until cooked. (I use a rice cooker and about 2 cups of water to do this)

Saute the onions, ginger and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil for a couple minutes.
Add the spices and stir for a couple minutes
Add the tomatoes and carrots, saute for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat
Add in the cooked split peas and mix well.
Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
Heat the stock in a pot and mix in the puree
Add salt to taste
Stir in the cilantro and heat through
Stir in the lemon juice.

Serve with a dollop of yogurt or feta cheese and some *fresh cracked black pepper.

*Natural cold-fighting super foods!

3 comments:

  1. How do I make vegetable broth.

    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been asked this question a couple times recently. After some experimentation here's a good recipe for homemade broth/stock:

    http://forever-a-foodista.blogspot.com/2010/01/homemade-stock-concentrate.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Laksh! I've edited all the soup recipes to point to the home made broth! :)

    ReplyDelete