Search by ingredient

Monday, August 30, 2010

Watermelon Mojito Sorbet


(I apologise for the lack of a picture here. It was one of those times when we were running out the door, sorbet in a cooler, trying to make it in time for an ice-cream social at a friends place. It was a ton of fun! We sampled some amazing desserts, home made wines and ice cream. I think it's an awesome idea and want to plan something myself soon!)
This summer I have been experimenting with ice cream and gelato recipes. I still haven't found that perfect 'healthy' recipe for ice cream. The consistency is always a little icy-er than I'd like it when I skimp on the heavy cream. Or it could be my ice cream maker. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

This weekend our new mint bush was taking over the deck, so I decided to chop it down to size and use the fresh mint leaves in a multitude of things- punch, soup and a sorbet! 

This sorbet is very fresh tasting. It would make a perfect palate cleaner between courses of a heavy meal!

Ingredients:

3 cups watermelon juice
1 cup water
1 cup cane sugar 
(or to taste- depends on the sweetness of the watermelon. Also remember that once churned, the sweetness intensifies. So aim for a moderate sweetness before the mix goes into the ice cream maker)
1 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
2 tsp corn starch (dissolved in 2-3 tbsps of water)
Zest of 2 limes
1/2 cup lime juice (I used about 4 limes)
1/2 cup vodka (A citrus liquor would also work here- I used part vodka part limoncello)
2 Tbsp mint chiffonade

Bring the water, juices (watermelon, lime) and sugar to a gentle boil
Stir until the sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat.
Chop the mint and add this and the zest to the juice. Steep for about 20 minutes.
Add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a gentle boil again. Stir for a couple minutes until slightly thickened.
Stir in the liquor/vodka and mix well until combined.
Chill in the refrigerator until cold and freeze in an ice cream maker (5 minutes before it is done, add in the mint chiffonade)
Place the sorbet in the freezer (front portion- the back is too cold), for a couple hours to harden

No comments:

Post a Comment