Search by ingredient

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Arabic rice



I must admit, I'm not a fan of rice. When I do have to make it; its always a relatively elaborate affair. (I figure if I hardly make it, it may as well be special when I do!) But I was lazy one day but a dinner party was missing the 'carb-factor' :)

So here's what I put together with flavors of Bahrain in my head ...

1 cup tilda basmati rice, uncooked
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
4 cloves
4 cardamom, crushed and seeds pounded into near powder like consistency
1 inch stick cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup roasted vermicili
1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts or pine nuts (optional)
1 cup parsley, minced (Basil or Cilantro work nicely as well)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp butter (Vegans, use coconut oil)

Saute the onions and garlic until soft in the butter
Add the spices, saute a minute
Add the tomato paste, stir well
Add the uncooked rice
Saute until rice is translucent
Add salt
Cook in a rice cooker with a little less than 2 cups vegetable broth (to account for the tomato paste)

Transfer rice to a bowl and top with vermicili and nuts. Garnish with minced parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment